Wednesday, October 1, 2014

I finally understand GitHub!

So a few weeks ago my new Uncia DLP 3D Printer came in the mail. This is really some cutting edge technology, and I'm excited to be able to play around with it!

The hardware of the bot is pretty simple and solid -- a steel frame, a linear rail, and a stepper motor.

The electronics are a bit eccentric, however -- a stepper driver controlled by a Teensy 2.0!

The firmware's totally wonky -- it uses "pseudo gcode", and essentially expects the computer running the Teensy to do all calculations.

The software is nearly there -- I'm using Steve Hernandez's Creation Workshop, and, with the inclusion of a custom Uncia driver to support the weird firmware, it works pretty well.

There were some things that I wanted to change in the software, though... The first and foremost being the ability to turn off the damn motor! The electronics aren't tuned perfectly for the motor, so it hums pretty loudly, even while idle. There was a button on the CWS to turn off the motors, but it didn't do a thing.

So I turned to GitHub, and logged into my old account. How coincidental that I made my account on October 1st, 2012, and pushed my first commit Octobor 1st, 2014! Git's become a lot more usable since 2012 (At least on Windows).

You can see my repository here, but it probably won't be that interesting unless you also have an Uncia.

Hopefully that repo will see some serious action as I start to tune in my bot!

No comments:

Post a Comment